W.C. Tillson (1876)
Scroll Down
By The Numbers
Lives Lost
Depth (ft)
Service History

"The W.C.Tillson was built at Sheboygan in 1876 and was purchased by Leathem &Smith in the spring of 1880. A few years ago she received a new and larger engine and also considerable addition and repairs from time to time." Last Document Surrendered Milwaukee 11/06/1889: "Total Loss"
Final Voyage

"The stern wheel steamer W.C.Tillson caught fire off Sherwood Point while towing a raft of logs from Pestigo to Sturgeon Bay. The crew of four was rescued by the steamer, Welcome, and the fire extinguished by the tug, Leathem. The fire apparently had started in a stack of slab-wood near the boiler." "The burned ship was towed into shallow water near Sherwood Point where the engine and boiler were removed in December. The hull was then moved to a place called the "upper mill on the east shore", probably near the old Leathem & Smith Quarry. The DCA claimed the hull was eventually to be converted to a sailing craft."
Confirmed Location     Unconfirmed location
© 2024 - Wisconsin Sea Grant, Wisconsin Historical Society