Beaver (1892)
Scroll Down
By The Numbers
0
Built
0
Sank
0
Lives Lost
0
Depth (ft)
 
 
Final Voyage


The Beaver was abandoned in Sturgeon Bay 1932. She was in the Sturgeon Bay bone yard in May, 1932. From The Herman G. Runge Collection.
Service History


The Oval Agitator was built as a fishing tug in 1892 and then, after some modifications, she was used on passenger runs to Beaver Island for twelve years. She was advertised as being available to be chartered for excursions. Her name was changed to Beaver in 1902. The Beaver was badly burned by fire in 1915, towed to St. James and her bare hull used as a barge until classified as a tow after being purchased by Henry Martin of Menominee, Michigan in 1930.

December 6, 1935 (possibly December 3rd).. The partially rotted Beaver was burned a second time, along with seven other ships including the Crosby and the Swift while pulled up on the beach (years ago) in the boneyard of the Sturgeon Bay Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Company.
The Beaver is listed as sunk in Sturgeon Bay according to Flint Treasure Map Enterprises as of 1962, but no date is given.
 
Nearby
© 2017 - Wisconsin Sea Grant, Wisconsin Historical Society