Mary Ellen Cook (1875)
Scroll Down
By The Numbers
0
Built
0
Sank
0
Lives Lost
0
Depth (ft)
 
 
Service History

The wooden three masted schooner Mary Ellen Cook was built in 1875 by R.W. Loutti of the Duncan Robertson Company at Grand Haven, Michigan and had been the pride of the sailing fleet on Lake Michigan. The Cook made maritime history when, while under command of Captain J.M. Valentine and loaded with lumber, she purposely rode a large wave over the Chicago breakwater while entering the harbor during a gale. Her official registry number was 90763.

November 1880: Bound for Chicago, beached near Hamlin harbor near Ludington. Sparks from a tug that was assisting caused the dock and pile of lumber to burn.

1889: Collided with the F. & P. M. No. 1 ripping away the steamers bulwarks and her own rigging.

September 1901: Beached 17 miles north of Milwaukee. It took days for the life saving crew to get her off.

Last documented year: 1922.
Final Voyage

The Mary Ellen Cook's last documented year was 1922 when she was towed into the Sturgeon Bay yards. She was later moved to the Door County Country Club at Sturgeon Bay, painted white and used as a pier until a fire destroyed her in 1934.
Today

Apparently, what is left of the Mary Ellen Cook is located about 20 feet beyond the dock near the Madelyn Marina. What is left has been described as "ribs of wood". Probably the keel and some framing is what is left.
 
Map
Confirmed Location     Unconfirmed location
 
Nearby
© 2018 - Wisconsin Sea Grant, Wisconsin Historical Society