Service History
The sidewheel tug
Ozaukee was built in Port Washington in 1857. Her official registry number was 19002. She was primarily used to raft logs from the Bad River to Ashland to the Union Mill Company's sawmill. At the time of loss she was worth $3,000.
November 1865: Readmeasured 94 x 17.5 x 6.2, 6.57 gross tons, no mast.
December 1866: Repaired.
April 1874: Repaired.
Winter 1875-1876: Rebuilt at Sturgeon Bay.
June 1883: Boiler repaired.
Last Docunment of Enrollment Surrendered: June 11, 1884: Marquette: "Loss of Steamer at Bad River May 27th,1884"
Final Voyage
On may 26, 1884 the sidewheel steamer tug
Ozaukee loaded supplies for south shore fishermen and Montreal River miners and headed out facing a stiff breeze. By late afternoon, when off Marble Point with heavy seas, her whistle pipe broke depleting the boiler of steam. The recipients of the cargo spotted the troubled tug and managed to reach the
Ozaukee and lighten her load and help repair the pipe. The following morning found the storm worse and the captain decided to turn back to the Bad River. The pumps couldn't keep up so the lifeboat was lowered and the tug abandoned.
The
Ozaukee was blown ashore 500 feet west of the mouth of the Bad River and pounded to pieces. That night the crew managed to salvage part of the remaining cargo. Apparently the boiler and machinery were later salvaged.