Edward E. Gillen (1872)
Scroll Down
By The Numbers
0
Built
0
Sank
0
Lives Lost
0
Depth (ft)
 
 
Service History


The tug J.J. Hagerman had a wooden hull and was built in 1872 by George Notter in Buffalo, New York. She was always used as a harbor tug by the Milwaukee Tug Boat Line, and on June 13, 1914 , was sold to Edward E. Gillen, Racine and then used as a dredge tug. On Feb. 18,1915, the J.J. Hagerman was renamed Edward E. Gillen and rebuilt March 3, 1915. The vessel was abandoned in 1928 at the Sturgeon Bay bone yard and was seen there as late as 1934.
In 1928 (the same year as the original Edward E. Gillen was abandoned) a new vessel was built by the Sturgeon Bay Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Company named Edward E. Gillen. The same engine that was in the J.J. Hagerman later known as Edward E. Gillen was installed in this new wooden hull tug. The latest Gillen was severely burned in Milwaukee, at the foot of Washington Street, about Sept. 1928, and the above engine taken out and scrapped because it was badly damaged by fire. A second engine (built by Sheriffs Manufacturing Company of Milwaukee in 1895) that had been removed from the tug Starke was installed as a replacement.
Final Voyage


The wooden tug Edward E. Gillen was owned by the Edward E. Gillen Towing Company out of Milwaukee (now Mequon) and they sold it in the mid-1960's. Subsequently, the vessel was stripped and the abandoned in the Kinnickinnic River on Milwaukee's south side.
Today


February 2008: The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources and the US Environmental Protection Agency have proposed to dredge a section of the Kinnickinnic River to remove contaminated sediments. The dredging would remove and destroy any remnants of the tug Edward E. Gillen.
 
Map
Confirmed Location     Unconfirmed location
 
Nearby
© 2017 - Wisconsin Sea Grant, Wisconsin Historical Society