Fort Winnebago Historical Marker
Gallery
img
Winnebago Historical marker
img
Fort Winnebago Historical marker
 
Attraction
Description
Wayside on Highway 33 where it crosses the Fox River. Former location of Fort Winnebago, with Fort Winnebago and Marquette Historical Markers. There is also a cornerstone for the former location of the fort. Old Fort Winnebago Surgeons Quarters are across the highway from the Wayside. HIstoric marker reads: 'In the autumn of 1828 a permanent fort was built on this site by the First Regiment of the United States Infantry under the command of Maj. David E. Twiggs, later a general in the Confederate Army. The fort was constructed primarily to control the important Fox-Wisconsin portage and to protect American traders from interference by the Winnebago Indians. Lieut. Jefferson Davis, later president of the Confederacy, served here after graduating from West Point. The fort was garrisoned until 1845 and was destroyed by fire in 1856. The only remaining portion is the restored Surgeons Quarters on the hill across the highway. Not far from here (entrance road a half mile west on this highway) is the fully restored Indian Agency House, built in 1832 by the Government for Indian Agent John Kinzie and his bride, Juliette. Mrs. Kinzies book Wau-Bun contains many interesting episodes of life at Fort Winnebago and in the surrounding community.'
 
Map
 
Nearby
© 2026 - Wisconsin Sea Grant, Wisconsin Historical Society