Mary Ann Scott (1871)
Scroll Down
By The Numbers
0
Built
0
Sank
0
Lives Lost
0
Depth (ft)
 
 
Service History

The wooden two masted scow schooner Mary Ann Scott was built and owned by John Scott in 1871 at Baileys Harbor. It appears that she often carried a cargo of wood and posts from the Baileys Harbor to as far south as Milwaukee.

Last Document of Enrollment Surrendered: 11/30/1876: Lost.
Final Voyage

"The scow Mary Ann Scott, with a cargo of supplies for Bailey's Harbor, is ashore and a loss a few miles north of Manitowoc. She cleared from this port in the southeaster on Saturday night, but as it became apparent that the vessel would not clear the point, an attempt was made to put her about and return, when she kissed stays and went upon the beach. The crew were rescued on Sunday morning after having spent the night in the rigging." MS 12/02/1875

"The scow Mary Ann Scott, beached a few miles north of Manitowoc, in one of the gales towards the close of last month, is reported by her owner, John Scoot, to be in good shape. As soon as sufficient ice has formed to break the seas, she is to be raised by the use of screws and hauled out upon the shore and repaired." MS 12/15/1875

"Capt. Scott informs us that his vessel the Mary Ann Scott, ashore, lays in a perilous situation. The raising of her rest entirely on contingencies. Want of ice, and liability of filling with sand making it a doubtful question if she will be saved or not." Door County Advocate February 17, 1876.

"The scow Mary Ann Scott, which is on the beach south of Two Rivers, has been dismantled and abandoned, her owners having found it impossible to get her off." MS 7/31/1876
 
Map
Confirmed Location     Unconfirmed location
 
Nearby
© 2018 - Wisconsin Sea Grant, Wisconsin Historical Society