The wooden three masted schooner Iver Lawson
was built as a two masted schooner in 1869 by the Miller Brothers in Chicago, Illinois. The vessel was valued at $10,000 and rated A2 in 1874. The official number was 12436.
May 4, 1869: First enrolled at Chicago.
May 1869: Damaged in a collision at Chicago.
1882: Rebuilt, shortened 2 feet.
April, 1888: Rig changed to three masts at Chicago.
April 1891: Remeasured at Chicago.
Last Document Of Enrollment Number 57 Surrendered: 6/30/1906: "Vessel Lost"
October 19, 1905: The schooner Iver Lawson
, while bound from St. Joseph to Masonville, Michigan for a cargo of lumber, was caught in a severe gale on Green Bay and driven ashore in Horseshoe Bay. Shortly after the schooner had passed through the Door, the northeast wind rapidly shifted into the north and "blew a hurricane". The Lawson
was stripped of her canvas, and was driven ashore. As the vessel struck about midnight, the crew opted to remain aboard until daylight, rather than abandon ship in the dark. They were pleased to find their ship high and dry and in no danger and were able to step directly onto the beach.
The following spring the Iver lawson
was sold to Captain Dave Ramage who planned to refloat her and convert the vessel into a lighter, but only managed to move her 30 feet. The vessel sat until it was sold to Captain Thomas Isabell who spent the entire spring of 1908 trying to free her, but a sudden storm destroyed his hopes of success.
"The remains of the Lawson
still lie within 45 feet of where she originally grounded."