The 36-foot Byron
is a small undocumented lakeshoring schooner built around 1849. Little is known about how the Byron
was operated in her early years other than she spent time sailing lumber products between Manistee, Michigan and Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
On the evening of May 8th, 1867, the Byron
was underway from Milwaukee to Manitowoc when she encountered the upbound Canton
. As the two vessels closed in, the Canton
unexpectedly changed course, turning directly into the Byron
bow struck the Byron
rolling her over. After fifteen minutes the Byron
went to the bottom. Captain Burmeister (of the Byron
), along with his son and one passenger jumped onto the Canton
who took them to shore in their yawl. The crew of the Canton
refused to try saving the Byron
rests in 135 feet of water twelve miles southeast of Sheboygan. In May of 1977 a commercial fisherman snagged one of the wreck's anchors and soon divers visited the site. Recreational divers recovered much of the Byron's
cargo and equipment.
Today, the Byron
, setting upright, is almost completely covered with a layer of zebra mussels and the hull is filled with a layer of silt approximately one foot in depth. Although the Byron
was reportedly filled with cargo when it was discovered, there is no cargo or artifacts of any kind to be seen.