The wooden two masted schooner Gertie Wing
was built in the year 1880, commissioned by William and Byron Burmeister who owned her for her entire career. The vessel was built by Patrick Moran and Jeremiah Daniels in Manistee, Michigan.
Last Document Of Enrollment Surrendered: November 3, 1888: "Total Loss".
"The little schooner Gertie Wing
had just departed from Port Washington for Manitowoc in a heavy sea on September 25, 1886 with five tons of apples when she became unmanageable. She dropped her anchor but the chain parted and she was driven aground 1/2 mile north of the Port Washinton piers. By the time a tug arrived, she was firmly aground. Her captain, William Burmaster of Manitowoc unloaded the apples and left the ship to break up. Her remains were still visible two years later." Fathoms Deep But Not Forgotten: Wisconsin's Lost Ships, Brendon Baillod; Milwaukee Customs House Wreck Report- October 30, 1888.