On Sunday August 26, 1855 the schoonerA.V. Knickerbocker
capsized in a gale 6 miles north of Port Washington and 10 miles off shore. The wreck was ignored by the schooner Charley Hibbard, master
Captain Doyle, which passed near by. With the foremast cut away and the vessel partly righted, it drifted ashore about 6 miles north of Port Washington. The mate and another crew member swam ashore to get the Port Washington lifeboat. The captain and two others crew members were left clinging to the vessel's bottom. The captain later drowned trying to swim to shore, but the remaining two sailors made their escape safely from the wreck.
In 1847 the A.V. Knickerbocker
was purchased by J. VandeLuyster, Sr., Mr. Stegenga and Captain Clausen as a colony vessel to facilitate the delivery of goods to and from the colony located at Holland, Michigan and also to bring Dutch immigrants to the village.
Because of financial problems along with constant shoaling caused by the multitude of bars at the mouth of the river, the ship was unprofitable and therefore she was sold in 1848 to a buyer from Milwaukee.
She was abandoned in the surf, and her remains are probably still buried under the beach. The remains were reportedly visible on the beach up until 1920, but their exact location is no longer known.