The wooden steambarge Minnie
was built in 1865 by Kirby & Tripp at Saginaw, Michigan. Arches were added In 1868 and the hull strengthened by the Campbell & Owens Shipyard and in 1872 she was changed from a steam scow to a barge. In 1879 the vessel was changed from a barge to a steam propeller. The board of Lake Underwriters valued the vessel at $9,000 and rated her as B2 in 1874.
Last Document of Enrollment Surrendered: Milwaukee 6/30/1884: "Burned A Total Loss"
After being moored at Fowles' shipyard on the Ft. Howard side, prior to being hauled out for repairs, the steambarge Minnie
caught fire and was completely destroyed. The Door County Advocate of 12/6/1883, reported that only one smokestack was left standing, by the time the fire was put out.
The only two persons on board, the engineer and his wife, managed to escape without injury. Fowles' shipyard was not shown on either the fire insurance map of Green Bay/Fort Howard of 1883 or an 1874 map of the area.
"Barge Minnie Burned. The steambarge Minnie, owned by Hagen and English, was destroyed by fire at about midnight of Monday at or near Fowler shipyard, Green Bay. Her destruction was total, nothing but one of the smokestackes being left standing. The origin of the fire is unknown. There was an insurance of $8,000 on the craft. Mr. Hagen informs us that his firm has not yet decided whether they will build a vessel to replace the Minnie
." Door County Advocate December 6, 1883.