The five crew members of the J.H.Johnson
were rescued by fishermen in their poundnet boat after she was stranded on the unmarked Horseshoe Reef of Sister Bay. In normal years she may well have cleared the reef, but 1895 was a year of low water. The cargo of hay was destroyed, although most of the bricks were salvaged within days by salvagers from the Ebenezer
. The Johnson
began to disintegrate washing the hay and her cabin ashore. By spring, she was scattered around the reef along with any remaining bricks.
The wreck of the James Johnson
lies in 20 to 25 feet of water along the base of the reef near the section of Horshoe Reefs known as the "Rock". The Johnson
has been reduced by storms and ice to its keelson members along with some ribbing and planks. Many bricks litter the area giving the name of the site "Brick Boat".
James H. Johnson's
home port was Milwaukee.
Last document, Enrollment No. 35 was surrendered Milwaukee, May 14, 1895 "Total Loss".