Attractions Archaeological Site
Attraction Name Description
Basswood Island Quarry Dock The Basswood Island Quarry, otherwise known as the Bass Island Brownstone Quarry, is located at the south end of Basswood Island. In 1854, a group of investors from St. Paul, Minnesota and Kentucky originally purchased the land on which the quarry eventually opened. Each of the four original inve...
Bullhead Point Site In 1931 three abandoned vessels were burned to the waterline at Bullhead Point. These well-worn remnants of the once thriving limestone fleet were last owned by the Sturgeon Bay Stone Company. The hulls of the vessels Ida Corning, Oak Leaf, and Empire State lie just offshore from the point and re...
Hermit Island Brownstone Quarry Dock The Excelsior Brownstone Quarry, owned by Fredrick Prentice of the Prentice Brownstone Company, operated on Wilson Island, or Hermit Island, from 1891 to 1897. The remains of the quarry are located on the northeast side of the island. In the 1850’s, a trader with the Hudson Bay Company working fo...
Pilot Island Site The Pilot Island shipwrecks rest in 20-50 feet of water and are marked with a Society seasonal mooring buoy. On the night of October 28, 1891, the scow-schooner Forest entered the Death's Door en route from Chicago to Nahma, Michigan. A gale struck and drove the ship onto the reef at Pilot Island...
Stockton Island Brownstone Quarry Dock Quarrying operations took place on Stockton Island, or Presque Isle, in 1871, and then again from 1886 until the fall of the brownstone industry in 1897. The Ashland Brownstone Company operated the main quarry on the island from the spring of 1886 through the end of 1897. The remains of the quarr...
© 2017 - Wisconsin Sea Grant, Wisconsin Historical Society